It only takes about an hour and 15 minutes from start to finish! And almost an hour of that time is IN THE OVEN!
No butter or oils needed!
I love the way it looks & smells when it comes out of the oven. It is a big hit with my family.
Texture:
It has a firm crust and chewy middle.
Note:
I replaced one cup of the flour with 1/2 cup of oatmeal and 1/2 cup of ground flax. I used ground flaxseed on the top.

Cuban Bread
5-6 c. all-purpose flour
2 T. dry yeast (yes, that's 2 tablespoons. Really.)
2 T. sugar (I doubled this for extra flavor)
1 T. salt
2 c. hot water (not boiling, just from the tap)
1 T. sesame or poppy seeds or oats (I used ground flaxseed)
Mix 4 cups of the flour with the yeast, sugar, and salt. Pour in hot water
and beat 100 strokes, or 3 minutes with a mixer. Stir in the remaining
flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Knead 8 minutes. Place the
dough in a greased bowl and cover with damp towel. Let rise 15 minutes.
Punch down. Divide into 2 pieces, shape into 2 round loaves and place on
baking sheet. Cut an X 1/2 inch deep on top with sharp knife. Brush with
water and sprinkle with seeds or oats. Place on the middle shelf of a cold
oven. Place a cake pan of hot water on the lowest shelf. Heat the oven to
400 degrees. Bake 40-50 minutes until deep golden brown.
9 comments:
This sounds delicious, I'll have to give it a try. I'm not a big savory bread maker. I stick to sweet breads (like pumpkin, banana etc), or jalepeno cheese cornbread, but you've peaked my interest.
Shannon
Shannon,
Jalepeno cheese cornbread sounds really yum!
This is so easy that if you do indeed like the flavor, you will be hooked.
It looks really good. Now I'm hungry. haha I'll have to try it really soon. =)
looks good :-)
Kim,
This bread looks good, and I am interested in trying it, although I'm not much of a bread maker. What does it taste like? I already cut and pasted the recipe to a MS Word document.
Also, I was confused about your variations on the flour portion. The recipe calls for 5-6 cups of flour, but you mention, "you can substitute 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour for at least half of the all purpose flour, and I usually substitute 1/2 cup oatmeal for 1/2 cup of flour???"
I'm sorry sweetie, but you lost me there. Can you help me out? I'm sorry, but as I told you, I'm NOT a bread maker, LOL!
LOL, sorry Lady Sofia!
I didn't mean to be confusing.
And yes, I understand bread making can be really intimidating at first! :-D
I copied and pasted this recipe and then wrote in my own variations, so that's probably why it doesn't make as much sense.
Basically you can substitute whatever flour you want. I used around 6 cups of flour. Part of that was 1/2 cup of rolled quick-cooking oats and the other part was 1/2 cup of ground flax seed.
I am not a big fan of wheat, but you could use that instead of the oats if you like. It's really a matter of preference.
In other words: I used around 5 cups of all purpose flour, 1/2 cup of oats, & 1/2 cup of ground flax.
But if I were you... since you are a first time bread maker, I would just do ALL of it as all purpose flour OR bread flour. Then when you get the hang of it, you could try variations. That's just my opinion because that is how I learned.
Of course, the seeds on the top are what makes it so yummy so I would sprinkle either flax-seed or sesame seeds on top like the recipe says.
As for the taste.... it is chewy on the inside and has a firm crust on the outside. It isn't as powerfully flavorful as.. say... butter-horn crescent rolls, but it is still really good. MUCH better than store bought loaves! Butter spread on it is the key! My kids ate it up in one day!
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I know how much I wanted to learn to make bread and how frustrating and intimidating it was at first.
This is a good one to start with though because it is so easy and fast.
If it doesn't turn out, just keep trying!
You can also Email me at mjkmatlock@yahoo.com if you feel more comfortable that way.
Kim:
I just send you an email (smiles).
Sophia,
I didn't see your email in my inbox. I checked the spam folder just in case and the trash folder too and I am not seeing anything.
Could you try again? :-)
Notice my email is different than my blog address. Don't ask me why I did it that way... I have no clue LOL. I am pretty scatter brained sometimes!
mjkmatlock@yahoo.com
Wow! That sounds great! The boys look like they are having so much fun with the snow!
Post a Comment